They were both hilarious and sweet, with Fey saying "Carol has been such a huge part of all our lives for the past 50 years. From her Broadway debut in Once Upon a Mattress in 1959 to 11 glorious seasons of her own smash hit variety show to her unforgettable film roles in movies like The Front Page and Annie — right up until this year's unauthorized biopic Carol, about her longtime friendship with Julie Andrews."
"Nope. No, Tina, that's not what that movie was about," Poehler fake-corrected.
"Watch it again," Fey said.
Fey and Poehler paid tribute to Burnett's legendary career by talking about how much they learned from Burnett growing up. She taught them about comedy and how to be the boss. "We watched Carol with our moms and our moms taught us 90 percent of what we needed to be the women we are today," Poehler said. "And the other 10 percent is Carol."
"She's better than all of us, and we're giving her a prize for it," Poehler succinctly put it.
Steve Carrell then helped Burnett up to the stage, and she gave a touching speech about reenacting movies as a kid - and climbing the Hollywood sign - before her childhood fantasies came true when she got her own weekly musical comedy revue,The Carol Burnett Show.
Burnett talked about how she broke through the glass ceiling with her show: "All the comedy variety shows are hosted by men," she remembers network executives telling her. "It's really not for a gal. It's a man's game." This is how she reacted.
She signed off with "I'm so glad we had this time together, thank you" and tugged her ear (her show-ending signature) as she began to tear up.