- Began acting in neighborhood theater in Albany during his high-school years.
- Gained attention in the 1967 Off-Broadway play MacBird, playing a character inspired by Robert Kennedy.
- Received Emmy nomination for portraying John F. Kennedy in 1974's The Missiles of October; also played Jacqueline Kennedy's father, "Black Jack" Bouvier, in 1991 TV-movie A Woman Named Jackie.
- Claimed identification with JFK role cost him parts in the films The Deer Hunter (1978) and Apocalypse Now (1979).
- Starred in Alfred Hitchcock's final film, Family Plot (1976).
- Joined Knots Landing in its fifth year and stayed for the remaining 10 seasons.
- Has a polo facility on his 140-acre ranch.
- Owns the California restaurant Devane's along with his son.
- 1987, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama or Comedy Special: Nominee
- 1975, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Special Program: Nominee
- Eugenie McCabe Devane — Wife
- Kate Devane — Mother
- Jake Devane — Son
- Joseph Devane — Father
- Josh Devane — Son
- American Academy of Dramatic Art, New York, New York, United States (1961)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Peter Fonda, Star of Easy Rider, Dead at 79
- 2. Here's What's Coming to Amazon in September
- 3. How To Watch the 2019 Emmy Nominated Shows Without A Cable Subscription
- 4. These Are the Real-Life Murderers of Mindhunter Season 2
- 5. Silicon Valley's Final Season Now Has a Premiere Date and a Trailer
- 6. Behold! Our Totally Reasonable Wish List for Gallavich in Shameless Season 10
- 7. Watch Gordon Ramsay Eat Giant Water Bugs for NatGeo's Uncharted